Monday, December 4, 2017

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS:

Image result for santa claus pics



I believe in Santa Claus. I'll tell you why I do
"cause I believe that dreams and plans and wishes can come true.
I believe in miracles, I believe in magic too.
As recorded by Dolly Parton

Well it is that time of year again when Santa decides if I have been naughty or nice.  I am hoping for a nice review although some of the recipients of my letters expressing concerns for their legislative and congressional votes may cast a naughty vote! On the other hand, I have shared some of my fossil and mineral specimens with interested children and have guided them with collections.  That may swing the nice vote over to my side.  We will see who Santa believes are most important—politicians or children!


Lithographic, LTD up in Denver (www.lithographie.org) has a plethora of great books that would look great in my collection:

·       Minerals and Precious Stones of Brazil ~$100

·       Collecting Arizona ~$80

·       Minerals of Mexico ~$40

A pegmatite field trip with David London.

A better understanding of mineral crystal systems.  

A subscription to Mineralogical Record ~$72.

Another 90 good years of mineral collecting for Bob Jones.

Changes in the BLM/USFS collecting rules for fossils.

Better regulations for clubs and individuals to establish mining claims on federal and state properties.

The return of Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante to national monument status.

Someone to name a new mineral mikenelsonite (this is a really wild one).

A better camera with the ability to do focus stacking photographs, and someone giving me great instructions.

A personalized field trip through Colorado with Pete Modreski.

Wire silver specimens collected from Kongsberg, Norway, and Frieberg, Germany.

Being able to visually identify different minerals classified as pyroxenes and amphiboles.

A little peace and respect in this troubled world.

A personalized short course in identification of phosphate minerals taught by Tom Loomis. I would then hope to identify the dimorphs phosphosiderite and strengite.

A special place in Hades for lying politicians and claim jumpers and….

A successful 2018 rock and mineral show for the Colorado Springs Mineralogical Society (and for all other clubs and organizations).

A chance to climb just one more Colorado 14er. But really just better walking legs.

A better digital microscope with camera.

But in thinking about the wish list, I was reminded of an author’s (unknown) quote:  Its not the presents that make Christmas so special, it’s the presence of those you love, whether they are with you in person or spirit.  In that respect I guess Santa believes ole Mike has been mighty nice!

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year or Happy and Merry whatever.  Have a great year collecting your favorite minerals.

No comments:

Post a Comment