The great thing about having a personal blog is that I can deviate from the general topic of geology and add other tidbits of my interests! So, here it is. Geology comes back next time.
- The small town of Culver, seven miles from my hometown, was named for George Culver, a causality at Beecher Island.
- My mother personally knew one of the Scouts while growing up in Lincoln County.
- Two of my aunts, by marriage, were grand daughters of Scouts.
- Several of the Scouts were interred in the small cemeteries around my hometown.
- I was able to observe original deeds located in the Ottawa County, Courthouse and noted the George Culver's deed to several acres of land located 1.25 miles from my hometown. The deed was signed US Grant and awarded to Culver because of his service in the Union Army during the Civil War.