|Gray to white druzy quartz. Length of druze ~2.7 cm.|
|Microcrystalline quartz under UV light.. Width ~2.3 cm.|
|A meandering stream with sand point bar deposits forming on the inside of meanders. Courtesy of U.S Geological Survey.|
A 1924 cartoon depicting Washington officials racing down an oil-slicked road to the White House, trying to outpace the Teapot Dome Scandal. Photo courtesy of The Granger Collection, New York.
A: He gave me a package of bonds.
Q: A package of bonds.
Q: What kind of bonds?
A: They were three and one half percent Liberty Bonds.
Q: Were they counted there in your presence, in his car?
A: No, sir.
Q: Did you open them?
A: No, sir.
Q: Where did you take them?
A: I took them to the Wardman Park Hotel.
Q: Who lived there?
A: Secretary Fall.
Q: To whom did you deliver them?
A: To him.
- How much is a short ton: the standard ton terminology used in the U.S., that is 2000 pounds.
- How man gallons in a barrel of crude oil: 42 gallons of crude compared to 31 gallons of beer in a barrel.
- As a youngster working in my father’s gasoline station (a filling station), I sold “coal oil.” What is that substance: Coal oil is a liquid extracted from cannal or candle coal, a high bitumen but soft coal. What I sold was kerosene, a liquid extracted from petroleum. Both were used in lanterns and in the “olden days” the terms seemed interchangeable.
- What about coal oil that I read about today: today’s coal oil is a fuel extracted from harder coal via chemical wizardry.
- Which states are the biggest users of Wyoming: Illinois and Texas; however, 30 states use Wyoming coal.
- How much coal does Wyoming produce: about 40% of U.S. coal production comes from Wyoming. Eight of the ten largest coal mines in the U.S. are in the PRB.
- Does Wyoming produce electricity: Wyoming is a big producer of electricity and exports about 67% of production and most is from coal or gas fueled plant; however, the number of wind turbines is increasing. .