Tuesday, June 29, 2021

AFMS & RMFMS ANNUAL SHOW AND CONVENTION, BIG PINEY, WYOMING, JUNE 2021

 

ROCKY MOUNTAIN FEDERATION OF MINERALOGICAL SOCIETIES INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS COMMITTEE REPORT 2020-21

This little blurb was submitted to the RMFMS at Big Piney, Wyoming, June 24th, 2021

This has been an extra quiet year for the International Relations Committee (membership of one), a really quiet year!  However, I still get a few questions about “international things” but suspect that most inquirers locate an email address from my Blog rather than the RMFMS website. But that is OK as I enjoy trying to answer questions. It seems every year, especially after the Tucson shows are over, a couple of rockhounds ask for information about collecting ammolite from the Cretaceous Bearpaw Shale cropping out near Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada. I suspect they have seen the beautiful specimens for sale at Tucson and are interested in self collecting. I refer them to a previous article in my Blog about collecting ammolite and the short answer is don’t try it, just visit Korite International and buy it. This year I have also remined people that I can/could not get into Canada for fishing due to Covid restrictions, so there was/is not much of a chance for rockhounds crossing the border. The Rockhounds discussion group on the web has several international members who certainly bring an interesting collecting experience to the group. Members are quite helpful to anyone posing a question about geology, rocks, minerals, and fossils.

 I often (at least once a month) receive an inquiry from an international rockhound that states something like “I purchased this specimen (photo enclosed) at a mineral show/dealer but the only listed locality is INSERT STATE. Can you help me locate the locality?”  That is sort of a hit and miss situation from a soft rock stratigrapher like me---but I give it my best shot. With the pandemic and travel restrictions in full swing I also receive requests from international rockhounds wanting to send or trade minerals. I usually ask what sort of mineral they are looking for and then suggest a contact with an appropriate club.

One of the really great things to evolve from the pandemic is Mineral Talks-Live, a joint venture by Blue Cap Productions (Bryan Swboda), the Mineralogical and Geological Museum, Harvard University (Raquel Alonso-Perez), and the Society of Mineral Museum Professionals (Eloise Gaillou). “This series was created as a response to the COVID-19 situation that has been greatly affecting the mineral world by isolating and separating us.”  The series is now in week 40+ and features a rockhound, dealer, mineralogist, designer etc. each week for an entertaining discussion and show and tell.  The audience is varied and includes many international participants—for example Dr. Gaillou “broadcasts” from Paris. All of the past shows are available on the You Tube web site.  I would encourage RMFMS members to “tune in” every Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. Eastern and get a new prospective on international collecting and museums.

And so it goes for the International Relations Committee. 

Addendum: as of June 2021  the shows have moved to one per month; see Blue Cap Productions for schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment